The Difference Between a B1 and F1 Visa

By Published On: July 13th, 2018
B1 and F1 Visa

Written by Eric Chambers from our Las Vegas, NV location. Call us today if you need any guidance with this process.

Fax: 702-586-3232
2785 E. Desert Inn Rd. Suite #100
Las Vegas, NV 89121

How Does A B-1 Visa Differ From An F-1 Visa?

People from other countries who wish to temporarily stay in the U.S. must obtain a visa from the U.S. Citizenship and Naturalization Services department. The type of visa that is required will depend on the purpose of the visit. There are many categories. Two of these are the B-1 visa and the F-1 visa. Here is a summary of their differences.

A lot of people want to go to the United States to enroll in an educational program. In order to do this, they will need to apply for a student visa. One of these is the F-1 visa. This is one type of visa applicable to those who want to be full-time students.

In order to enter the country under the F-1 status, there are certain conditions that must be fulfilled. First of all, the institution that is providing this program must be approved by the USCIS Student and Exchange Visitors Program. The program that the student enrolls in must be academic in nature. In addition, he must be a full-time student based on the institution’s definition of full-time.

The school can be public or private, but it must be accredited in the U.S. This school must have authorization from the U.S. to accept foreign students. This is not limited to just universities and colleges. It can be an art conservatory, high school, elementary school, or a school that teaches a language. The applicant’s English language skills must be proficient, or he must take classes that will help him achieve proficiency. The curriculum or study program must offer a formal certification, degree, or diploma that the student can earn.

On top of all of this, the student must provide proof that he has enough financing to support himself during his entire stay and to pay for his education. He also must retain a residence in his own country that he does not plan to give up.

When a student is in the country on an F-1 visa, he can obtain a job on campus if certain restrictions and conditions are met. During the first academic year of his program, he cannot obtain employment outside of campus. However, after he completes the first academic year, he can work outside of campus if his employment is part of his training in his curriculum, if the job is related to the curriculum, but not required, or if the job is an extension of training in a STEM field. Any jobs not on campus must be pre-approved by the USCIS and the school official who handles the student exchange program.

Some people enter the country on a B-1 visa. This is for people who are going to the U.S. on business. The types of business activities can include business consultation work, contract negotiations, going to a business or professional convention or conference over a specific period of time, going for training for a short-term for business, settling matters relating to an estate, and others.

To qualify for a B-1 visa, the applicant must have a legitimate business reason. He must define a specific length of time for his stay. He must show that he has sufficient funds to pay for all of his expenses while in the U.S. He must have a home and connections outside of the U.S. to show that he plans to return to them after his visit.

The applicant can apply to stay from one to a maximum of six months initially. After six months, he can apply for an extension of another six months. Generally, the maximum length of a stay overall is one year. There are certain forms that must be completed with the USCIS for this extension.

The B-1 visa can apply to a person who is employed as a domestic servant for a professional who is coming to the U.S. to work. This applicant must show that he has a residence in his country to which he plans to return after his stay. He must have worked for his employer for a year before coming to the U.S.

Entering the country on the wrong visa can create a myriad of problems for the traveler. Is is very important to understand the differences between these and other visas before entering the U.S. in order to avoid any complicated problems.


Related UCEDA School Posts

  • Applying for an F1 visa can be a daunting process for international students who aspire to study in the United States. The F1 visa, specifically for academic students, allows individuals to pursue their education at accredited institutions, including colleges, universities, high schools, and language training programs. This guide aims to provide a comprehensive overview of […]

  • Achieving success on the TOEFL exam is a crucial milestone for non-native English speakers aiming for higher education or professional opportunities in English-speaking environments. UCEDA School offers comprehensive training to ensure you excel in this critical test.  Our programs cover all aspects of the TOEFL, including reading, listening, speaking, and writing sections. With tailored study […]

  • At UCEDA School, learning a second language transcends conventional education methods. Our holistic approach enriches language acquisition with a spectrum of learning dimensions, each designed to deepen understanding and effectiveness. We integrate dynamic, interactive engagement in real-world contexts, ensuring practical application and cultural immersion.  This multifaceted strategy enhances linguistic skills and cultural appreciation, fostering a […]