What Is The F1 Visa and How To Transfer To A New School While On It

By Published On: June 25th, 2018

Written by Eric Chambers from our Las Vegas, NV location. Call us today if you need any guidance with this process.

Fax: 702-586-3232
2785 E. Desert Inn Rd. Suite #100
Las Vegas, NV 89121

What Is The F1 Visa and How To Transfer To A New School While On It

For citizens born in many parts of the world a university education in the United States has a lot of prestige. US universities are considered some of the best on the planet and getting good grades from one is an excellent way to get a good job, especially in some occupations. However, getting the visa, funds, and meeting the requirements to get into the US to study can be very difficult and comes with various pitfalls as well. Here are some tips on getting the required F1 Student Visa and how to transfer that visa to different school if you need to.

The Main Requirements To Get An F1 Student Visa

For those foreign students that would like to attend a University or College in the United States to study either English Language or enter a special academic program, there is the F1 student visa. In order to qualify, they must enroll as a full time student and carry the class load that that requires. After the end of their classes, they have an additional 60 days in order to complete their program requirements.

If they desire to remain in the US longer than their studies require they can apply for additional time in OPT Program which allows them to work as well.

When applying for the F1 Visa it’s important to keep in mind the purpose of the visa to understand some of the requirements. The US wishes people to come for the purposes of study and then return to their native country. Therefore, they require applicants to have a foreign residence in their country to return to after they complete their education. They must also have a sponsoring institution, or school, which will be the only one approved for them to attend while on their visa.

There must also be proven financial support showing that the student has the resources to complete their studies without obtaining work in the US or becoming a burden on its citizens. Students must demonstrate solid ties to their home country of origin by showing assets, bank accounts, extended family, or a job which ensures that the student will return upon finishing their degree.

Academic Requirements Are Different Than Visa Requirements

Once you have what you believe are the right resources and documents for the F1 visa, you’ll also want to make sure that you have met the requirements for admission to the university or college as well. Each school will have its own set of policies and some are more restrictive than others. Many schools have special programs just for foreign students to learn English along with related studies in international trade or international business as well. The school will issue what is called an I-20 form that shows the student qualifies and is eligible, and that form is used to apply for the visa.
The best place to apply for your F1 Visa is in your home country or the closest US Embassy or Consulate covering your home country. It is possible to apply at any US foreign embassy or US consular office abroad but that is sometimes a more difficult process than applying from your home country. You can visit their websites online to get a complete list of what you’ll need to apply, including downloading the necessary forms to be filled out before your visit.

If You Need To Change Schools There Are Special Procedures To Follow

Your F1 Visa is only valid at the school that it was issued to and if you need to change schools there are special rules that have to be followed. To begin the process you’ll first need to contact the school where you attend. Most schools will have a special person called the Designated School Official that knows exactly what must be done and how to do it.

You will have to obtain a confirmation letter from the school that you wish to transfer to. The school must be a certified school, but they’ll know that in advance. The letter should have all the correct contact information for the new school on it, but make sure before you make your appointment, including the SEVIS school code for the transfer.

Your school’s Designed Official will ensure that you have all the requirements and set up a transfer date which is when the responsibility for your studies officially is transferred to the new school.

Transferring to a new school with your F1 Student Visa may sound complicated, but it’s not. The Designated Official at your current school will know exactly how to do it and help you achieve your goal. Just make sure you give them plenty of notice in order to get the process started in time before your new classes begin.


Related UCEDA School Posts

  • Applying for an F1 visa can be a daunting process for international students who aspire to study in the United States. The F1 visa, specifically for academic students, allows individuals to pursue their education at accredited institutions, including colleges, universities, high schools, and language training programs. This guide aims to provide a comprehensive overview of […]

  • Achieving success on the TOEFL exam is a crucial milestone for non-native English speakers aiming for higher education or professional opportunities in English-speaking environments. UCEDA School offers comprehensive training to ensure you excel in this critical test.  Our programs cover all aspects of the TOEFL, including reading, listening, speaking, and writing sections. With tailored study […]

  • At UCEDA School, learning a second language transcends conventional education methods. Our holistic approach enriches language acquisition with a spectrum of learning dimensions, each designed to deepen understanding and effectiveness. We integrate dynamic, interactive engagement in real-world contexts, ensuring practical application and cultural immersion.  This multifaceted strategy enhances linguistic skills and cultural appreciation, fostering a […]