Study on a Visitor (B-1/B-2) Visa?

By Published On: July 13th, 2018
Study on a Visitor

Written by Eric Chambers from our Las Vegas, NV location. Call us today if you need any guidance with this process.

Fax: 702-586-3232
2785 E. Desert Inn Rd. Suite #100
Las Vegas, NV 89121

Can You Study At School On A Visitor B-1 B-2 Visa?

If you have a visa to come into the United States for business, or perhaps for a vacation, you may wonder if that same these can be used if you would like to come into study at a state college or university. Although all of the pieces that you can obtain are going to allow you to stay for a specified period of time, not all of them are created equal. Some of them are specifically for business objectives. Others are going to be for those on vacation and still others are for students that will be attending a local college or university somewhere in the US. Let’s look at the difference between the pieces that are currently available.

What Are B-1 B-2 Visas

B-1 visas are designed for people that are going to be on a business trip. They will be for a specified period of time, and once you have come to the end of that time period, you will then have to leave. B-2 visas are those that are for vacationers. These are people that are coming into the United States to go to a city, state, or they might be taking a tour. As long as they leave before the end of the visa, everything will be fine. However, these do not allow you to go to school. You need to get a completely separate visa for that. These are called F-1 visas.

F-1 Visa Overview

F-1 visas are specifically made for students that are going to come into the United States in order to work. Most international students are able to come into the US. There are some countries that may not be able to, but for the most part, you simply have to apply and be approved. It is specifically designed for those that are coming to a college, one that they have already been approved for, and it will allow them to stay for that semester in order to go to school. If you don’t have this particular visa, you will not be allowed to attend classes. Conversely, if you have not already applied for, and have been accepted to a college or university in the United States, you cannot apply.

How Long Does This Process Last?

This process is going to last for a very short period of time. They understand that students may have been accepted to a school, and in a few short months, they need to be approved. There are some prerequisites. You will have to come to a meeting where they will interview you. One of the most important things to remember is that you must not convey any sense that you would like to stay after the semester is over. If they have any indication that this is your desire, they are not going to improve your visa.

What If You Are Using One Of The Other Visas And Going To School?

If you are using any of the other visas, this is not permissible. Although you have been granted time to visit the United States, it is not for that express purpose. If you do this the wrong way, you could end up in a lot of trouble. One of the reasons that this is so important is that there are many people that try to get into the United States through an improper channel. They will state that they are coming in for a specific reason, only to end up staying for what could be years. They need to know that you are being honest, and if you are going to be a student, you need to have the student visa. If you don’t, you could find yourself being asked to leave and go back home, even before you start your first class.

Now that you know the difference between business, leisure, and academic visas, you will know which one to get. These are designed to be easy to obtain. They will understand that you are only here for a short period of time. If that is the case, and you are honestly coming over to obtain an education, it should be approved without any problems at all. Some of the people that apply may be subjected to a more thorough background check. You will never know until you start to go through the process. Either way, you now know how to get one of these visas, and why you need this specific one. It’s just a matter of going to the process.


Related UCEDA School Posts

  • Applying for an F1 visa can be a daunting process for international students who aspire to study in the United States. The F1 visa, specifically for academic students, allows individuals to pursue their education at accredited institutions, including colleges, universities, high schools, and language training programs. This guide aims to provide a comprehensive overview of […]

  • Achieving success on the TOEFL exam is a crucial milestone for non-native English speakers aiming for higher education or professional opportunities in English-speaking environments. UCEDA School offers comprehensive training to ensure you excel in this critical test.  Our programs cover all aspects of the TOEFL, including reading, listening, speaking, and writing sections. With tailored study […]

  • At UCEDA School, learning a second language transcends conventional education methods. Our holistic approach enriches language acquisition with a spectrum of learning dimensions, each designed to deepen understanding and effectiveness. We integrate dynamic, interactive engagement in real-world contexts, ensuring practical application and cultural immersion.  This multifaceted strategy enhances linguistic skills and cultural appreciation, fostering a […]