Do You Need A Visa For Las Vegas? – UCEDA School

By Published On: July 5th, 2018

Written by Eric Chambers from our Las Vegas, NV location. Call us today if you need any guidance with this process.

Fax: 702-586-3232
2785 E. Desert Inn Rd. Suite #100
Las Vegas, NV 89121

Are you planning on traveling to Las Vegas Nevada for business or as a tourist? Well, you need to know the right travelling documents to bring with you to avoid any immigration issues on your visit. Here’s what you need to know.

The Visa Waiver Program (VWP)

There is a VWP applicable for certain countries whose citizens are travelling to Nevada. Basically, these citizens can travel to Nevada without using the visa for at most 90 days. However, they need to meet a few requirements before travelling. These requirements include:

a) A valid electronic passport throughout the entire journey going to or getting out of Nevada.

b) You must have an ESTA (electronic system for travel authorization) approval before boarding the flight or ship to Nevada.

c) You must be on an approved carrier

d) You must have a round trip ticket which is basically a return ticket if you are coming from a country outside the US.

Getting A Tourist Visa For Las Vegas, Nevada

If you are travelling to Nevada, you can also apply for a tourist visa. It is referred to as the B category visa. To obtain this, you should fill out the DS-160 application and attach a passport photo on the form. You should also schedule an interview which will be done in the US consulate or Embassy in your country of origin.

Make sure you have paid the $160 fee for the DS-160 application. The fee is non-refundable. When you are planning to travel to Nevada, you are not allowed to work for a US employer, especially if you are travelling on the visa waiver or a B category visa.

What You Need To Know About The ESTA VWP?

It is a program that was introduced to allow entry to the US for people with passport from countries participating in the VWP, without necessarily applying for a Visa. If you are visiting Nevada for 90 days or less, for tourism, business or medical purposes, you need an ESTA waiver.

The ESTA waiver is valid for 2 years after the date it is issued or when your passport has expired, whichever is earliest. There are a few requirements you should meet to be eligible for the ESTA waiver program.

Some of the permitted business visits include:

a) Consulting with your business associates

b) Attending a business, professional, educational or scientific convention or conference.

c) A training period for at most 90 days where there is no remuneration but only for incidental expenses incurred during the visit.

d) When negotiating a contract.

On the other hand, the permitted tourism visits include:

a) Leisure and tourism

b) Taking a vacation or holiday

c) Visiting friends or relatives

d) Getting medical treatment

e) Participating as an amateur in sports, music or any other events or contests where you are not getting any remuneration.

f) Taking part in a brief study simply for recreational purposes which doesn’t add credit to a degree. For instance, participating in a painting class while on holiday.

What Types Of Travel Are Not Permitted Under The VWP?

If you are travelling for the following purposes, you will not be eligible for the VWP.

a) Any academic studying that will add credit to your degree.

b) Any type of paid employment

c) If you are a foreign journalist whether for film, radio, TV or printed press and any other type of media.

To travel under the ESTA VWP, there are a few other requirements you need. These include the following.

a) You must be fully authorized under ESTA to travel without a visa when going to the USA for either business or tourism purposes as mentioned above.

b) You must be travelling on an approved round-trip on sea or air to enter the US under the ESTA waiver.

c) To get an ESTA approval you shouldn’t have any prior entry refusals. Therefore, if you have applied for a US visa previously and it was rejected, you will not be eligible.

d) You must bring your electronic passport with you.

If you are not eligible for an ESTA waiver or are planning to stay in the US for more than 90 days, you should apply for a Tourist visa, business visa or a visitor visa. The visas come in different categories and you should choose the right one depending on your reason for visiting.


Related UCEDA School Posts

  • Applying for an F1 visa can be a daunting process for international students who aspire to study in the United States. The F1 visa, specifically for academic students, allows individuals to pursue their education at accredited institutions, including colleges, universities, high schools, and language training programs. This guide aims to provide a comprehensive overview of […]

  • Achieving success on the TOEFL exam is a crucial milestone for non-native English speakers aiming for higher education or professional opportunities in English-speaking environments. UCEDA School offers comprehensive training to ensure you excel in this critical test.  Our programs cover all aspects of the TOEFL, including reading, listening, speaking, and writing sections. With tailored study […]

  • At UCEDA School, learning a second language transcends conventional education methods. Our holistic approach enriches language acquisition with a spectrum of learning dimensions, each designed to deepen understanding and effectiveness. We integrate dynamic, interactive engagement in real-world contexts, ensuring practical application and cultural immersion.  This multifaceted strategy enhances linguistic skills and cultural appreciation, fostering a […]